Mindful Movement for Health and Fitness
What’s Mindful Movement?
When we move our bodies, we expand our sense of what we’re capable of, what’s possible. We feel stronger, more confident, more stable. It doesn’t matter what shape you’re in, how old you are, or what your body type is. Moving mindfully gives you the power to feel better and be healthier.
As a kid, I was overweight and got teased and called all the usual names. I used this as motivation to get in shape, and over time found new ways to move my body, build strength and reach my fitness goals. After I sustained a series of injuries, I realized that I was overdoing it. I needed to adjust my approach to fitness and my idea of what was healthy.
That’s when I started studying and practicing a more holistic approach to fitness, one that got my brain and my body on the same page. That’s what I mean when I talk about "Mindful Movement.” And that’s the foundation of my approach to training.
“I think it’s rare to have the variety of skills Alex has all in one person. I feel like I get not only a personal trainer, but also a physical therapist, a yogi, a masseuse, a boxing coach, and all-around cheerleader.”
— NICKI M.
What do I know about this stuff?
I have B.S. in Kinesiology (the study of human body movement) from the University of Minnesota, where I worked under the nation's best Division 1 strength and conditioning program, helping athletes increase their skill and gain a competitive edge. Studying kinesiology helped me understand more about the connection between mind and body in health and fitness and shaped the approach to training I use today.
After college, I became a full-time firefighter and emergency medical technician (EMT). I also became an American Council of Exercise-certified personal trainer. Additionally, I hold a Boxing Coach certification from USA Boxing and Tai Chi Senior Fitness Instruction certification from the American Sports and Fitness Association.
Here’s complete list of my degrees and certifications:
- B.S. in Kinesiology, University of Minnesota
- Certified Personal Trainer (CPT), American Council of Exercise
- Certified Boxing Coach, USA Boxing
- Tai Chi for Arthritis for Falls Prevention, Lead Trainer Certification
- Ashiatsu Massage Trained
- Diet and Nutrition Specialist Certification
- Free Motion Circuit Training Group Fitness Specialist
- Muscle and Substance Testing Certification
- The Art of Muscle Testing for Emotional Balance Certification
- Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) Certificate, State of Minnesota
- Professional Firefighter, Minnesota Fire Service Certification Board (MFSCB)
Here are some community activities that I'm involved with:
- Founder and Event Producer: Unite & Fight